Tuesday, June 17, 2008

SUMO!


I'm back-tracking and trying to catch up on getting info on here...  Anyway, on to the good stuff.
=========================
On Friday, May 23, I went to Tokyo for the afternoon to catch the Sumo Tournament and it was a blast.  Once I learned the basic rules and standings, I really got into the matches!  Some good drama involved.  Basically, the tournament last 15 days and everyone wrestles every day.  In order to avoid demotion to the next division below, a sumo must win 8 matches in the tournament.  Yesterday was Day 13 so there were a lot of guys on the precipice between 8 wins or 8 losses.

The current leader in the standings for this tournament is a guy named Kotooshu.  He's Bulgarian and enormous (not fat, just huge - about 6'4" and built like an NFL tackle).  This would be his first title - and the first title ever for a European-born sumo.  Apparently, he's quickly become a huge star in Japan and the ladies love him (and is credited with bringing young people back to the sport).  He's called "the Sumo Beckham" I learned from a Japanese woman seated near to me...

I happened to have a seat next to three people from Austin, Texas...  We all proceeded to drink a lot of Asahi "tall boy" cans, eat some dumplings and really get into the matches (I'm sure the alcohol had NOTHING to do with it!  ha!).  Good times!

I will definitely be going back and will be happy to take any of you if you should come to visit.  Hope all is well!  Tournaments in Tokyo are held in Jan., May and September...  hint...hint...

Here's the link to some photos I took - nothing great I can assure you (there are also a few off the back deck here in Yokosuka that I included so you could see our view into the hills)...




No comments: