Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Yokohama: Queso found? Almost...


Once again, I'm playing catch-up from past events here in the Land of the Rising Sun...

About 2 weeks ago (June 28 to be exact), I was mildly bored and without a plan. What to do? What to do??? Hmmm... So, on the spur of the moment on Saturday afternoon, I took off to Yokohama to catch the Yokohama F. Marinos soccer/football match at Nissan Stadium. Back in DC, this time of year could be counted on for 2 things - 1. A pre-game meal of great chips and queso, tacos and beer/margaritas at La Plaza on Capitol Hill. and 2. DC United soccer at Estadio RFK.

Well, the Yokohama trip wasn't quite the same (I didn't see any rats around Nissan Stadium like the ones at RFK...), but it did work. Before the soccer, I circled and doubled-back and read information kiosk until I found it! Yes, the search was over - for I'd FINALLY located the Yokohama branch of El Torito. Its on the 28th floor of the Sky Plaza Building in downtown Yokohama with spectacular views of the city -and even the Tokyo skyline looks like its only blocks to the north.

So, once I was settled into my seat at El Torito, I began to inhale chips and salsa like... well, like a man who hasn't had them in over 2 months. And the best part, I was able to wash it down with a Budweiser (only Y750 for the beer = $7.00... but worth every penny...). Food was great and then it was off to the stadium for the big match with Jubilo Inwata.

Made it to the stadium just as kickoff was taking place and sat in General Admission about 5 rows from the field. I have to say, the F. Marino fans and Jubilo fans can match any European supporters cheer for cheer and song for song. Great atmosphere. However, the field is surrounded by a track and seems to be a mile away. Plus, the stadium is huge so there are lots of empty seats further dampening some of the enthusiasm, but good time regardless. Jubilo ended up winning 1-0.

Interesting culturalism witnessed: At the end of the match, I start gathering my things and preparing to head for the exit. I notice everyone is sticking around and walking down to the rail. A minute later, all of the Yokohama players come to rail and bow to the crowd (who cheer), then, they make their way to the next corner of the stadium and bow, making their way to each corner of the stadium to bow to the fans as a gesture of "thanks" to the fans. Pretty nice scene to witness.

http://www.f-marinos.com/





No comments: